What if I told you that if everyone were to go vegan, there would be enough food and water for everyone? What if I told you that this isn't ALL about the animals but it's about the humans too. What if I told you that God gave us a world that has the ability to sustain us to live healthy lives but that we are ruining it every single day? Would you believe me? This is for everyone who thinks being vegan won't make a difference, who thinks being vegan is just for the crazy animal people, and who thinks that the state the world was in when we were given permission to eat animals in the bible, is the same state that the world is in now. All I know is that my God would not want things to be unfolding the way they are today. We could be doing so much more to be good stewards of the planet we've been given but we're failing miserably at that. Animal agriculture is the main factor behind SO many issues in this world and with our future and I hope you stick with me and take the time to read the facts below. I know this is a heavier post and it's not meant to offend anyone. It's meant to educate. I have been educating myself on this topic for over a year and am actually in school for this as well. I've been thinking this post up in my heart for over 6 months and am so so passionate about everything it has to say.
The bottom line here is that we don't need animal foods to live and thrive and be healthy human beings. Actually, we would be SO much healthier and eliminate so much disease in this world if we weren't eating animal foods. The fear instilled in us towards a vegan diet by society is so uneducated. It should 100% be the other way around. We should be so afraid of cancer, heart disease, stroke, autoimmune diseases, etc. that we flee from animal products to protect ourselves, but instead, we're all afraid of these diseases and health issues but we continue to eat the meat and the dairy everyday, we continue putting into our bodies what is causing the disease but expecting there to be another way out, another fix. We fund the research so other people can find what has already been found, food is the issue. You don't have to look any further than your own plate to understand why there is discomfort or disease in your body. The answer is not a diet. There are SO many diets going around that promise weight loss but do they promise health? Keto, whole 30, low-carb, protein diets, all include animal products. There are so many diets that get so popular due to weight loss but try to beat around the bush with not eliminating the animal products, the things that are causing true health issues. Thin does not automatically equal healthy. Keto for example may help you lose a ton of weight, but you may end up with cholesterol levels through the roof which is very unhealthy. This happened to my mom and was such a wake up call for her when she got her cholesterol numbers back. The newest diet isn't the answer. True plant based whole food (how it was from the very beginning in the garden of eden) is the answer for EVERY issue, ailment, or disease. People aren't dropping dead all over the world from a plant based diet but hundreds of thousands of deaths annually are animal-based diet related. This world needs a major wake up call and I hope that this post can act as that wake up call even if it's just for one person.
One of my main concerns is world hunger. If it's one of yours as well keep reading:
WHY BEING VEGAN MATTERS EVEN MORE FOR THE HUMANS THAN WE COULD EVER IMAGINE:
- 82% of starving children live in countries where the crops grown are fed to the animals and the animals are sold to and eaten by wealthier countries. I had to do a double take with this fact. Animals are being fed what starving children have to go without so that the animals can be killed and sent to other wealthier countries. This is a HUGE issue. That in itself makes me so sad and so sick to my stomach that the meat industry has become more important than human life. The most mind blowing part of this fact is that we don't even need meat, yet children are starving to death because of the demand for it.
- We are currently growing enough food to feed 10 billion people but at least HALF of it is fed to livestock.
- Worried about the environment? Deforestation? Extinction? Animal agriculture is responsible for 91% of amazon destruction. 1-2 acres of rainforest are cleared every SECOND for animal agriculture.
- 80% of all antibiotics sold in the US are used for livestock.
- More than 6 million animals are killed for food every hour. 6 million.
- Humans drink 5.2 billion gallons of water and eat 21 billion pounds of food each day. Cows drink 45 billion gallons of water and eat around 135 billion pounds of food each day.
- Even without fossil fuels, we will exceed our 565 gigatons CO2E limit by 2030, all from raising animals as quickly as they are being raised.
- Agriculture is responsible for 80-90% of all US water consumption. Californians use 1500 gallons of water per day. Close to half is associated with meat and dairy product.
- 2500 gallons of water are needed to produce 1 pound of beef. 447 gallons of water are required to produce 1 lb of eggs. 900 gallons of water are needed for 1 lb of cheese. 1000 gallons required to produce 1 gallon of milk.
- Animal agriculture covers 45% of earth's total land and is the leading cause of species extinction, ocean dead zones, water pollution, and habitat destruction.
Animal agriculture is 100% out.of.hand.
BREAK DOWN OF WHAT THIS LOOKS LIKE:
1.5 acres = 37,000 lbs of plant food
1.5 acres = 375 pounds of beef
land required to feed 1 person for 1 year:
vegan - 1/6th of an acre
vegetarian - 3x as much as a plant based eater
meat eater - 18x as much as a plant based eater
This is a major issue and one of the things I hear most often is "Well God said we could eat meat". Ok sure, let's break this down. We were also told in the bible to cut off our right hand if it causes us to stumble but is that something that is implemented in today's day and age? I believe every word in the bible holds truth, 100%. I am a firm believer in that but I also know that my God is not a God who would want the disease and the torment that animal agriculture is causing his creation. Did he make it very clear that in the beginning before the fall of man he gave us every green plant for food? YES. Did he later give permission to eat meat after the fall of man? Yes. Did he tell us it's something our bodies need to survive and that we have to eat it? No. Times have changed. Just like we don't cut off the body parts that cause us to stumble anymore, we need to learn to let go of this meat tradition and open our eyes to the destruction is causes to the world God has given us.
I pulled these facts from cowspiracy.com. To see where the facts came from and read more about the studies that have been done, visit their site!
If you have been thinking about going vegan and are ready to jump in be sure to read these blog posts as well to make your transition even smoother!
Thank you so much for reading!